
gives the words “a young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “A virgin”. It explains “a young woman” in the footnote “k” as follows:
YOUNG WOMAN: The Hebrew word here translated “young woman” is not the specific term for “virgin,” but refers to any young woman of marriageable age. The use of “virgin” in Mt 1.23 reflects a Greek translation of the Old Testament [Septuagint], made some 500 years after Isaiah.2
The New English Bible also gives the words “A young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “The virgin”.3
The Reader’s Bible, in the same way, records the words “a young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “a virgin”.4
Revised Standard Version (Catholic edition), as well, writes the words “a young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “a virgin”.5
The New Rev. Stand. Versn. (Cath.Ed. for India), has also followed suit and has given the words “the young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “the virgin”.6
The New Oxford Annotated Bible has also done the same. It has recorded the words “the young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, and the words “the virgin” in Matthew I:23.7 It has also afforded a footnote as follows: ‘Young woman, Hebrew “‘almah,” feminine of “‘elem,” young man (1Sam 17.56; 20.22); the word appears in Gen 24.43; Ex 2.8; Ps 68.25, and elsewhere, where it is translated “young woman,” “girl,” “maiden.’8
YOUNG WOMAN: The Hebrew word here translated “young woman” is not the specific term for “virgin,” but refers to any young woman of marriageable age. The use of “virgin” in Mt 1.23 reflects a Greek translation of the Old Testament [Septuagint], made some 500 years after Isaiah.2
The New English Bible also gives the words “A young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “The virgin”.3
The Reader’s Bible, in the same way, records the words “a young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “a virgin”.4
Revised Standard Version (Catholic edition), as well, writes the words “a young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “a virgin”.5
The New Rev. Stand. Versn. (Cath.Ed. for India), has also followed suit and has given the words “the young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, whereas in Matthew I:23 it translates the word as “the virgin”.6
The New Oxford Annotated Bible has also done the same. It has recorded the words “the young woman” in Isaiah VII:14, and the words “the virgin” in Matthew I:23.7 It has also afforded a footnote as follows: ‘Young woman, Hebrew “‘almah,” feminine of “‘elem,” young man (1Sam 17.56; 20.22); the word appears in Gen 24.43; Ex 2.8; Ps 68.25, and elsewhere, where it is translated “young woman,” “girl,” “maiden.’8
